Lake Land College encourages GED students to complete testing before 2014 expiration deadline
Administrators at Lake Land College’s Adult Education want to encourage General Education Development (GED) students to finish their classes and testing before changes to the national GED test take place, effective January 2, 2014.
The current version of the GED exam, known as the 2002 Series GED test, will be replaced with the new 2014 GED test. People who have taken the 2002 Series GED test, but have not passed all five parts, will be required to start over again in 2014 with the new GED test, as all GED scores will expire too.
“Even though we have about a year, current GED students should really strive to complete their testing before the current test expires,” said Pat Hemmett, supervisor of Adult Education and Literacy. “Otherwise they’ll have to start over with the new test and none of the work and effort they put forth will count toward their GED testing after that 2014 date.”
GED classes are gearing up for the spring semester through Lake Land College. GED Orientations will be held throughout the district as follows:
• In Mattoon, GED Orientation will be held on Monday, Jan. 7 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Adult Education Center, 1617 Lakeland Blvd.
• In Charleston, GED Orientation will be held on Thursday, Jan. 10 from 12:30-3:30 p.m. at the Coles County Health Department, 825 18th St., conference room 2.
• In Marshall, GED Orientation will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 9 from 1-4 p.m. at the Eastern Region Center, 224 South Sixth Street.
• In Effingham, GED Orientation will be held on Thursday, Jan. 10 from 6-9 p.m. at the Kluthe Center, 1204 Network Centre Blvd.
• In Arthur, GED Orientation will be held on Thursday, Jan. 10 from 6-9 p.m. at the Arthur Public Library, 225 South Walnut Street.
Spring semester GED classes, which begin the week of January 14, will be offered in various communities thorough out the LLC district and are as follows:
• Arthur: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-9 p.m. at the Arthur Public Library;
• Charleston – 2 classes: Thursdays from 12:30-3:30 p.m. or Tuesdays from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at the Coles County Health Department, 825 18th St., Conference Room 2;
• Cowden: Mondays and Thursdays from 6-9 p.m. at the Community Center, W Locust St.;
• Effingham – 2 classes: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30-3:30 p.m. at the Kluthe Center or Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-9 p.m. at the Kluthe Center;
• Marshall: Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-9 p.m. at the Eastern Region Center;
• Mattoon – 2 classes: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon or Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-9 p.m. at the Adult Education Center;
• Shelbyville: Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-9 p.m. at the Shelby Christian Church, 200 N. Hickory St.;
• Paris – 2 classes: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30-11:30 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church, 324 W. Court St. or Wednesdays from 4:30-8:30 p.m. at the Human Resource Center, 753 E. Court St.
GED testing is currently scheduled through June of 2013 at various locations and times throughout the LLC district. Testing, coordinated by the Regional Office of Education, is set to take place at the following times:
• Saturday, Jan. 26 at Lake Land College in Mattoon;
• Saturday, Feb. 9 at the Eastern Region Center in Marshall;
• Saturday, March 9 at Lake Land College in Mattoon;
• Monday, April 1 and Tuesday, April 2 at the Regional Office of Education in Charleston;
• Saturday, April 13 at the Eastern Region Center in Marshall;
• Monday, April 29 and Tuesday, April 30 at the Regional Office of Education in Charleston;
• Saturday, May 11 at the Regional Office of Education in Charleston; and
• Saturday, June 1 at the Regional Office of Education in Charleston.
For more information about GED orientation or classes, call the Lake Land College Adult Education Center 217-235-0361 or 1-800-210-5541. For more information about GED testing, call the Regional Office of Education at 217-348-0151.
Lake Land College instructor creates GPS game app for students visiting campus
Lake Land College announces 16th annual Auto Club Car Show Winners
Lake Land College honors John Deere Tech graduates
Lake Land College cheerleaders hosting summer camps
Lake Land College welcomes more than 50 new nurses to the field at annual pinning
Lake Land College recognizes new dental hygienists at pinning ceremony
Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this June for youth
Lake Land College cheerleaders selling tickets for Thirty One products
Graduation 2013 photos online now!
Lake Land College Kluthe Center offers early bird speech class
Students build Lake Land College recycling center for class project
Lake Land College honors Trio students at Spring Recognition Banquet
Lake Land College announces full-time spring semester honors list
Lake Land College announces part-time spring semester honors list
Get more out from your scholarship with Lake Land College
Lake Land College Foundation awards first CDL scholarship
Lake Land College spring graduation list announced
Lake Land College offers Digital Photography for Kids